RFI

Re: [RFI] Compass Vectors

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Compass Vectors
From: Gedas <w8bya@mchsi.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 13:16:40 -0500
Being an astro-imaging nut I would like to remind folks that during the daytime using the sun or the moon if visible is extremely accurate. Even with cloud cover if you can make out the shape of the sun you have an instant compass.

I use them all the time to check the alignment of my various higher gain VHF/UHF antennas, esp after heavy wind storms. I just step back 50' or so from my tower and align the boom with the known astro source, be it the north star, sun, moon, etc.

Since I know my stars & planets I have used many of them (i.e., Venus around sun rise/sun set) to get very accurate bearings. All this data is commonly available, day or night so keep it in mind in a pinch.

Gedas, W8BYA

Gallery at http://w8bya.com
Light travels faster than sound....