RFI

[RFI] Some results. Re: LED Bulbs RFI

To: <rfi@contesting.com>, "WD8ARZ" <wd8arz@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: [RFI] Some results. Re: LED Bulbs RFI
From: "KD7JYK DM09" <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 18:01:33 -0800
: Thanks for sharing that info Kurt - Its that kind of detail on a product
: result that the rest of us can benefit from.

No problem.  I've had good luck with the WalMart "Great Value" NON-dimmable
LED bulbs sold in single units in the green box.  I have (these are
"equivalent") 40W, 75W and 100W.

For 60W, I used Sylvania Osram bulbs sold singly at Family Dollar.  I did
find RFI to my desktop FM receiver.  I found the noisy bulb and swapped it
with a Sylvania Osram bulb bought in a two-pack at WalMart of a slightly
different design, noise went away.

The WalMart Great Value 60W equivalent sold in the green box was terribly
noisy.

I DID find, after putting in 9 100W equivalent WalMart bulbs in the garage a
slight increase in noise to a portable SW receiver, the increase comparable
to increasing the volume in general about 10%, just a raise in background
noise, BUT, the antenna for that radio is about 9' long and run along a
shelf and over a nail among the wiring for the 100W bulbs, so, no surprise.

I've swapped over the entire house, over 100 bulbs, many in groups of 3-5,
for example in large light fixtures, no noise noted to my radio
installation.

Here's most of the bulbs I'm using so far:

Great Value 40W NON-DIMMABLE, part number GVRLA527ND, Model L5A19HV, UPC
code 811309875.  Soft white, 2700K color temperature, minimal noise to a few
inches.

Great Value 75W NON-DIMMABLE, part number GVRLA1327ND, model LED12A21N1, I
don't have the UPC code, lamp is soft white.

Sylvania Osram, bought in a single pack from Family Dollar, 60W,
NON-DIMMABLE, part number LED10A19/827/G3, no UPC code on hand, soft white
but a little harsh, good if covered with a glass or cloth shade.  Some noise
to FM broadcast, perhaps a bad bulb, didn't do much checking, swapped with
another bulb that was quiet.  Several other bulbs near the same radio on the
same circuit, no noise from those, radio uses a dipole antenna 10 feet from
the circuit the bulbs are on.  I DID find that even with the noisy bulb,
running my HT along the AC wiring tuned to the VHF airband in AM with
squelch off, I heard noise a few inches from the wiring except where it
passed through conduit.  The conduit choked off the RFI within fractions of
an inch.

Sylvania Osram 60W, different model.  The single units I bought at Family
Dollar were expensive, but they were the first I found and quiet except for
one so I bought a lot of them at $$$.  WalMart has Sylvania Osram 60W in two
packs at half the cost of the single LED bulb at Family Dollar.  I bought a
two pack to test them.  Again, NON-DIMMABLE, model LED8.5A19/F/827/10YV.
UPC code on box 4613573886.  2-pack, orange and white box.  800 Lumen
output, 2700K color temperature, soft white.  RFI to about 1" from wiring,
nothing noted elsewhere, LF - UHF.

I have some of the Great Value 100W bulbs, but I can't get to them to get
the part numbers.  They are also quiet except when an antenna is run in with
their wiring.

I'm happy with the bulbs I've found and will stock up.  I've waited a decade
for LED bulbs that were reasonable and I think I've found them.  They have a
claimed service life of 10-20 years but I'm stocking up now, get maybe a few
dozen of each a half-dozen at a time per bulb type.  I don't want to worry
about looking for bulbs again in 10 or 20 years.

Kurt