RFI

Re: [RFI] Doorbell Transformer RFI ??

To: <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "'Rfi List'" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Doorbell Transformer RFI ??
From: "WX5L" <wx5l@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 23:32:30 -0500
The older type doorbell transformer has a safety feature built in. A
thermister monitors the heat in the windings. If it detects overheating it
opens a relay to disconnect power so it doesn't combust.
But even with a normal situation this relay can become pitted and chatter
away causing RFI. An easy fix if it's yours but neighbors are often very
skeptical of changing anything especially if it's not bothering them.

Forced air attic ventilators thermostats can cause RFI as they age
especially if they are near the fan as it vibrates the surrounding area.

Randy
WX5L