RFI

Re: [RFI] Doorbell Transformer RFI ??

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Doorbell Transformer RFI ??
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 15:50:36 -0400
I'll try again:

The "door bell" problem has been around since before switch mode power supplies existed. I think it may even predate the disconnected TV preamp in the attic. I think we can rule out the old mechanical door bells, but the early electrical ones were nothing more than an electrical circuit closure to electromagnetic hammers hitting resonant tubes. These involved a small, low voltage transformer and many, many feet of wires to momentary push button switches. Usually wired so the back door provided a single note and the front door two tones in succession. This evolved into a number of tones, but these were nothing more than a transformer, electromagnets, and a LOT of wire.

Once solid state came about, many of these old systems were simply disconnected and the new ones installed, leaving, in some cases, many hundreds of feet of wire. Our old farm house probably had at least 200 feet of the old, fabric covered, solid, door bell wire. IIRC this wire insulation (such as it was) was white and red, or blue in equal amounts, The wire was held with spring clips. I'm not sure of how to describe those clips, but those clips were not the best electrical connections. Given hundreds of feet of this wire connected to the low voltage side of a 5:110 VAC transformer that may have the primary floating, or connected to a pair of wires back to the panel, with a poor connection to the secondary. We "might" have over a thousand volts of low current on the primary side with the wire back to the panel acting as an antenna?

I don't know either Jim. I'm just speculating.

73

Roger (K8RI)