RFI

Re: [RFI] DC Power supplies

To: David Harmon <k6xyz@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] DC Power supplies
From: "qrv@kd4e.com" <qrv@kd4e.com>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2016 13:33:39 -0400
Ditto on the IOTA supplies with the IQ4 charge manager.

I've had one floating across a large deep-cycle marine
battery for years - it supplies clean 12VDC to all of
the 12v devices in the radio room.

The battery also provides power when the grid is down.

Some day I'd like to build a battery back and add some
solar PV ...

David KD4E

+1 for that Ken. I have 2 of the DLS 55 units and they are very
reliable. I use them to power model airplane battery chargers so the
IOTA's run constantly at 54A just inside their current rating with no
problems. I know the IOTA's are very clean as there is no problems
with the chargers that use microprocessors to control the charging
activities. I'm very happy with them.

73

David Harmon K6XYZ Sperry, OK

If you are looking for RF-quiet switching power supplies to run HF
and VHF/UHF rigs you should take a look at what IOTA has to offer.  (
http://www.iotaengineering.com/dls.htm).  They make small. light
models with 15, 30, 45, 55, 75, and 90 amp outputs.  Add the IQ4
Smart Charge Control option and you turn the unit into an automatic
smart battery charger with four charging stages.  The IQ4 option is
available two ways: as a module that plugs into the DLS charger or as
an internal unit already built into the DLS.

The units are designed so that you can, using an appropriate fuse,
permanently attach a battery directly across the terminals.  No
modifications are required.  This arrangment makes a nice battery
backup/UPS system.

Another feature is that you can parallel units with the same
voltage/current ratings without modification.  That means you can,
for example, parallel two DLS-55 supplies and effectively end up with
a 12 volt, 110A power supply.  Two DLS-55 supplies cost only a little
more than a DLS-90 (90A) yet provides more power.

The IOTA supplies aren't "pretty" as they are designed to be mounted
out of sight in RV and other vehicle battery compartments.  Also,
they do not have any metering.  You just plug them in and they work,
24/7/365.  You can always add an inexpensive digital panel meter
display or analog meter and mount it where convenient.

I have had my DLS-55 for years and never give it a thought.  It is
mounted under the operating desk and the fan is so quiet the only way
to know the power supply is powered on and working is that the radios
light up!   I have never detected any interference from the supply on
the AM or FM broadcast bands, HF, VHF, or UHF.

I have no financial interest in IOTA, just a long-term satisfied
owner.

Ken WA2LBI

--

*David* KD4E
ARES-EC Bulloch County, Nevils, Georgia USA

Safe & Secure Search Engine: duckduckgo.com