RFI

[TowerTalk] How far does RFI travel?

To: rfi@contesting.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] How far does RFI travel?
From: Ray Benny <rayn6vr@cableone.net>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2016 03:21:27 -0400 (EDT)
 body {height: 100%; color:#000000; font-size:12pt; font-family:arial,
helvetica, sans-serif;}This may seem a strange question to ask and there maybe
many answers, so I will try to be specific as to what I am looking for.
A new subdivision is being built about 1/4 mile away, east and north east,
towards EU. The homes are custom build on 1 acre parcels. What I am trying to
find out: can I expect my noise level to go up as more homes are built?
I spend a lot of time on 160m. I have a RX 4SQ and 2 wire beverage, and I do
hear a number of small RFI noises in a number of directions from nearby homes
in my rural area. Most of the time they do not cause any long term problems. My
thought is that when new housing comes in, new and more electronic gadgets will
be inside that can generate more RFI.
I have done some RFI tracking, mostly electric fences and leaking/defective
power line hardware, but these sources are usually very distinctive and usually
easy to fine. Finding wall wart, LED, etc RFI is harder to find, especially on
someone else's property. Another way to ask my questions: "Does this type of
RFI noise typically radiate more than several hundred feet"?
Any thoughts or experiences are welcome.
Tnx & 73,
Ray, N6VR
Chino Valley, AZ

--