RFI

Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] How far does RFI travel?

To: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>, Ray Benny <rayn6vr@cableone.net>, rfi@contesting.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] How far does RFI travel?
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2016 09:43:00 -0700
They are plenty interested in busting grow operations. It's more about whether
RFI is probable cause for a search warrant.  It is not.  You could get the FCC
to send them a letter, maybe, but RFI is not a state law issue ( i think its
good thing that federal law preempts state and local for RF)

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S®6 active, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone--------
Original message --------From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net> Date:
5/9/2016  7:32 AM  (GMT-08:00) To: Ray Benny <rayn6vr@cableone.net>,
rfi@contesting.com,     towertalk@contesting.com Subject: Re: [TowerTalk]
[Bulk]  How far does RFI travel?
One thing I noticed when driving around with a PC+ USB spectrum analyzer
to find a new QTH, was how much quieter neighborhoods with in ground
utilities were from those with the old "poles and pigs" distribution
systems.  Another observation was that big HV transmission systems were
quieter than expected when a few hundred yards from them.  My conclusion
is the buried systems shield and choke the rf, just as happens with
buried coax.   IMO, much of the rf trash we hear is generated by bad
devices and then radiated from pole systems.  60 acres NW of me were
recently developed, 20 homes on 2 acre lots plus open space and
underground utilities and so far so good.  A plasma TV SW from me is an
S4 problem, but I haven't tracked it down.  Hopefully, the new
subdivison near you will be all buried.

Several local hams here are seriously affected S9+ all bands by large
grow lights for recreational substances that are clearly not FCC
compliant re radiated and conducted emissions.  The distance can be
significant - 1/4 mile or more.  Most are probably illegal but of no
interest to law enforcement given trends of the new laws.  The FCC
either "doesn't have the resources" or "won't investigate where illegal
activity may be happening without law enforcement present". A perfect
Catch22.  In the past, when growing was clearly illegal, law enforcement
used AM radios to find the grow sites.

Grant KZ1W
Redmond, WA