RFI

Re: [RFI] Coupling methods for RFI emission testing on SPS

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Coupling methods for RFI emission testing on SPS
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 11:27:32 -0600
Jeff,

Your method sounds a bit too "Rube Goldberg" for me. Assuming the RF interference is via common mode current radiating from external wires (reasonable assumption) the FCC limits for a part B device are 56dBuV quasi-peak/46dBuV average for freq. from 0.5 to 5 MHz and 60dBuV quasi-peak/50dBuV average for freq. from 5 to 30 MHz (9kHz msmt. bandwidth). These measurements are made into a 50 ohm / 50uH LISN which is easy to build but not all wiring is easily measured with a LISN. Unless you have a spectrum anaylzer with an EMI option you will be stuck with a 10KHz average measurement which will need the limits raised by 0.4dB to account for the BW increase.

Doing a bit of math, 50dBuV average corresponds to 316uV avg. and 6.32uA average common mode current.

If you don't want to go the LISN route take a current probe and measure the common mode current along all wires leaving the device you are measuring. Without a screen room the wires will pick up a lot of external radiators (AM broadcast) but with a little care they can be ignored. I use a 0dB-ohm shielded current probe which means it has 50 turns but anything over 10 turns is ok. However you will need to compensate for the current increase.

For me over the years I have found that if the _10KHz average common mode current is 1uA or less it is nearly impossible to hear_ it unless you are only a few feet from the antenna. 1uA corresponds to 15.6dB better than the part B limit which is damn quiet. For a 0dB-ohm current probe 1uA is -107dBm so you might need a preamp on your spectrum analyzer. If you have a 10:1 current probe 1uA will be -93dBm.

If you can't reduce the common mode current to <= 1uA then you need to decide if what you have is good enough.

73,

Larry, W0QE