RFI

Re: [RFI] Solar Panel RFI

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Solar Panel RFI
From: Tony <dxdx@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 21:36:51 -0400
All:

My neighbor invited me in to see his solar panel system which has a Solaredge PV Inverter seen here:

http://www.solaredge.com/us/products/pv-inverter#/

It's equipped with an MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracker) which, according to the website statement below, has circuits that can cause radio and television interference. They also mention the importance of noise isolation and suppression.

See: https://www.solar-electric.com/mppt-solar-charge-controllers.html

My next step will be to call Solar City which is the company that installed the system. I'll post the outcome on the reflector ASAP.

As for the noise - it promptly disappeared after the sun went down.

Tony -K2MO

Solar-electric.com statement:

/The Power point tracker is a high frequency DC to DC converter. They take the DC input from the solar panels, change it to high frequency AC, and convert it back down to a different DC voltage and current to exactly match the panels to the batteries. MPPT's operate at very high audio frequencies, usually in the 20-80 kHz range. The advantage of high frequency circuits is that they can be designed with very high efficiency transformers and small components. The design of high frequency circuits can be very tricky because the problems with portions of the circuit "broadcasting" just like a radio transmitter and causing radio and TV interference. Noise isolation and suppression becomes very important./