RFI

Re: [RFI] Portable DFing at HF (long)

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Portable DFing at HF (long)
From: "KD7JYK DM09" <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 21:17:41 -0700
: I think of it more in terms of getting along with our neighbors. It's
: strongly related to diplomacy.

How about big (or little) business?  Are we to march down the street and
open the door of every fly-by-night shop with a noisy LED sign or
what-have-you and tell them what's up, cuz dang it, we gotta license?
Diplomacy or not, that usually doesn't go over well no matter who we think
they should think we are.

Refer to, "why"", "who are we?" and "what power do we have" as mentioned
previously.  At no point did I suggest pistol whipping the OM down the road,
re-read:  "the 'good neighbor' policy, which I fully understand can work in
many instances".  Not to be confused with walking up to someone and, (insert
an absurd amount of diplomacy here) receiving a potential response of:
"Whatever.  Piss off, nerd!".  In reality, they owe one no more than that,
so now what is one to do?

Suppose we ask a large national organization to assist us with the matter?
What will they send to the person that appears to be in violation?  First,
some more failed diplomacy (see above, "Whatever.  Piss off, nerd", for
those who forgot already).  Great, no more toilet paper shortage for them or
maybe some heat for the winter for those that didn't care to begin with,
delivered right to their door.  That went swimmingly.

What will also be mentioned on our behalf?  In a quite easily perceived
"holier than thou" fashion, at the very least, Part 15, 18, and 97 as it
pertains to many of those in this forum and how those even MORE holier than
they- enforces them....  You know, "the law".  Bet that goes over even
better.

Suppose you don't ask this large organization to assist?  What other options
are there?  Go to what's left.

Anyone seen the initially apparent scary letters from these people?  They
start with "the law", mentioning, depending on the situation a whole BUNCHA
"laws" about what you may be interfering with or are in violation of, Part
5, 13, 15, 18, 20, 22, 27, 73, 74, 80, 87, 90, 95, 97, "land-line
telecommunications", rare, but I've heard it, and no doubt some others I
can't think of at the moment since I'm only casually involved in this stuff,
then go straight to how much yer gonna pay with applicable CFRs and parallel
USCs to support how they're gonna get it from you more quickly than you'd
prefer.  Bet that gets the job done.

: Your holier than thou, letter of the law approach seems very out of
: place.

Hardly, the letter of the law is what dictates the results if they are to be
had.  RFI?  What, no letter of the law controlling it?  It is absolutely
controlled by that and nothing else. Well, we call them "Code Of Federal
Regulations", not "laws", same result in the end whether you approach it
yourself, ask a large radio related organization to do it for you, and (what
if you AREN'T a "ham", and are technologically inept but have a pretty
strong feeling something is causing interference?), just fill out (in the
US) the FCC RFI complaint forms online
and let them do their thing, you'll get updates automatically and a notice
of it having been resolved in the end.

"Holier than thou"?  What's more holier than walking down the street with a
license, a radio, and approaching people about RFI?

No, just following the rules to prevent breaking the rules such as those
that violate the rules as those who write the rules and enforce the rules
would have us follow the rules...  Just because the other guy might be
breaking the law doesn't mean we have to, and as with any case, do it right
or get it tossed aside no matter how bad the violation itself is.

: And remember, growing marijuana for personal use is LEGAL in
: about half of the US -- 23 states (including CA, OR, and CO) plus DC. It
: is also legal to grow it for SALE in some states.

I think everyone forgot "some" and "near a school".  I suggested having it
checked out, then go from there, the problem MIGHT be resolved by other
means
at no effort or consequence to oneself.  Why do it the hard way when there
may be a faster and easier way available by those better prepared with your
issues resolved as an unknown and unintentional yet valid consequence?

Closer to home and perhaps a better analogy than all of the above, here in
the US and no doubt there are similar organizations in other nations, the
ARRL, bless their efforts, has procedures for handling such things when done
through them (one could call it "the law"- in a sense).  Try going through
them, doing and following nothing they outline. Whoops.  Back to "the law".

Speaking of "law", I had some interesting conversations this morning with
those that know and enforce them from State to Federal in various services
involved with issues of RFI from defining, identifying, quantifying,
regulating, creating  and enforcing applicable regulations, and ultimately,
if all goes as planned, mitigation there-of, spanning efforts across some
thirty to fifty years, specifically, how the average person, ham or not,
what they do and how, and what their rights, limitations and liabilities are
in each instance when it comes to almost everything we do about RFI as
suggested on this list when approaching or involving others. I have some
more questions and some more examples as outlined in this forum to provide,
so, more about that later.

Kurt