RFI

Re: [RFI] Portable DFing at HF

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Portable DFing at HF
From: "David Robbins" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2016 10:48:16 +0000
I agree, its always best to approach the person, unless maybe they have a
10' fence with barbed wire on it and a nasty dog inside, of course.  An
important foot-in-the-door tactic is the warning that failing or defective
electronics can generate the type of noise you are hearing and could be a
fire hazard, which is (almost) always true.  If that doesn't work then a
second contact, pointing out that some defective stuff can interfere with
car radios and be detected from some distance away, and if it is interfering
with broadcast or public service or aircraft radios the fcc is liable to
come for a visit... at that point offering to help find and quiet down the
offending noise maker got the ballast and bulb delivered to me in an hour.
I never did have to go in the house and I have no idea if he is growing
tomatoes or something else, but its nice and quiet again.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net