RFI

Re: [RFI] Portable DFing at HF

To: Kelly Johnson <kelly@kellyandshari.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Portable DFing at HF
From: Tom Thompson <w0ivj@tomthompson.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 14:16:09 -0600
Kelly,

I can easily hear an S-7 noise on my 40m dipole at 700 feet with my AL loop. With the larger CU loop I can hear even further or weaker RFI.

Tom   W0IVJ

On 8/12/2016 1:42 PM, Kelly Johnson wrote:
I've located the source of HF interference in the past by getting a beam heading with my 20m yagi, then walking that direction with an FT-817 tuned to 50MHz. For powerline noise, I then pull out a portable (Arrow) 432MHz yagi to really pin it down to a pole. The last time I had a noise like the one that I'm hearing now was DF'd with my 20m yagi and the FT-817 tuned to 50Mhz. This time, the source appears to be across a freeway in another neighborhood. I was hoping to reduce my neighborhood walk time by using a second directional antenna to triangulate the source. Unless the noise is extremely loud, I wouldn't expect the loop to even hear it until I get close. What I'd really like is a 20m yagi on a portable tower that I can drive a block away and use to triangulate the source. I think that would work the best, but that's not a very practical option.