RFI

[RFI] Noise from Switcher on 80/160

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Noise from Switcher on 80/160
From: "Mike Wetzel" <w9re@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 12:00:56 -0400
I have been experiencing a noise on 160 and 80 for the past couple of months
that peaks N/NE from my qth. It has peaks every 32.5/65 KHz  across 80
meters.  I have subdivisions with underground cabling on 2 sides of my
property (N and NE). Last week, W5LO (who lives in the subdivision to my
north and also hears the noise) and I took a drive in my car with my K3 and
we seemed to find the noise peaking in or around a specific house in his
subdivision. We contacted the owner who did cut the power to the house and
the noise did not stop.

A friend of mine, W9KY and I, used his Sony SW receiver and loop antenna to
try and pin point the noise on Saturday. We heard the noise on his radio
with a whip antenna at my house and took off walking the subdivision.
Listening on the loop on 3820 we heard the noise but were not able to pin
down it's location.  The subdivision does have AT&T U-verse, Comcast and
many have small DirecTV or DISH satellite dishes/receivers on/in their
houses. W5LO has DirecTV and we noticed that we heard the noise around his
splitter coax cables coming from his dish and distributed through his house.
But even disconnecting power from his unit did not stop the noise. It is as
if the noise is being radiated from some device (most certainly nearby) and
is then being picked up by his coaxes. In W5LO's attic, we could barely
receive the noise on W9KY's receiver, but when the loop antenna was put next
to the coax cables, the noise increased significantly again all power off.

I am at a loss as to how to proceed and pinpoint this noise source.  Anyone
with any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike W9RE