RFI

Re: [RFI] Noise from Switcher on 80/160

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noise from Switcher on 80/160
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 12:16:54 -0700
On Mon,10/10/2016 11:28 AM, Cortland Richmond wrote:
You may find it easier to locate the emitter by listening on 65, 97.5, 130 or 162.5 KHz with a LW or VLF receiver. Some handhelds will tune as low as 100 KHz, and some of the portables (AOR5000, for example)

Great suggestion, Cortland. Some other RX options -- the Tecsun portables all tune the LF BC band, and the PL660 is the most sensitive. They use a built-in loopstick at low frequencies.

The SDRPlay, sold by HRO and others for $130, goes from 150 kHz to 2 GHz, powers from the USB port of a laptop, tablet, even Raspberry Pi, displays any spectrum width up to 9 MHz, and has detectors for AM, FM, CW, and SSB that feed the computer's audio out. There are at least four decent FREE software programs for Windoze and some for other platforms, including Mac, Linux, and Android. I bought one a few weeks ago, and am very impressed.

At least one of the software packages (by Simon Brown, the original developer of Ham Radio Deluxe) allows multiple RX windows, so you can monitor multiple bands at the same time. SDRuno, distributed by the company that sells the SDRPlay, is also quite capable. It's the only one I've had time to try.

73, Jim K9YC