RFI

Re: [RFI] led bulb test

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] led bulb test
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 12:15:46 -0500
Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com> writes:

> Outside of compliance test labs, our concern is NOT to determine
> compliance with FCC Rules for emissions, which are not necessarily a
> good indicator of the extent to which a given device will radiate
> enough noise into our antennas to be problematic.

Certainly I didn't mean part 15 compliance was good enough.

What I was getting at is that while I can install a device where I would
use it and turn it on and off and see if I can hear it, I wonder if
there is some reasonable path to make measurements so that someone else
can predict if it will bother them, based on similar measurements of
other devices and knowing the effect of other devices.  We now have a
lot of "I couldn't hear it" statements, which aren't comparable or
quantitative.

So I wonder if something like a LISN but different - that simulates some
standard conditions that you think are realistic and useful - is
plausible.  I suppose that's asking you to redo the entire engineering
practice around testing to more closely align test results and actual
problems, which is a big request.

Given your comments about green wires, I wonder if some sort of
LISN-like device with a measurement tap on the green wire is
appropriate, or some kind of transformer from the complete power cord as
a pickup.

(In my LED testing, I have used a lamp with only phase/neutral wires and
not even a grounded frame, because that's what was in front of me.)