RFI

[RFI] Unusual subharmonic RFI

To: "reflector RFI" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Unusual subharmonic RFI
From: "Dave Hachadorian" <k6ll.dave@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 14:13:08 -0700
Here's the story. When I transmit a nice clean 200 watts CW on 14.060 MHz, I can hear a loud, buzzy, broad signal centered on 7.030, and I can also hear its third harmonic on 21.090. The broad signal pretty much wipes out the 40 and 15 meter bands. The noise, and the amount of RF power required to trigger it, vary with the azimuth of my transmitting antenna, and point in the direction of the house across the street. I am sure that this signal is not coming from my radio equipment, or from my house.

A friend walked over to the neighbor's house with a portable shortwave receiver while I was transmitting, and the noise is definitely coming from that house. He walked into the front yard, and the noise peaked when he was directly beneath two satellite dishes which are mounted on the roof. One is DISH TV and the other is DirecTV. I plan to approach the residents tomorrow to seek their cooperation. I suspect they have also been having problems with the malfunctioning device. If they cooperate, I plan to listen to the noise on the shortwave receiver, and start turning off circuit breakers until the noise goes away, and zero in on which device on the circuit is the problem. If the breakers are labeled, I'll start with the room that has the DirecTV and DISH receivers.

Has anyone encountered a situation like this, where a subharmonic is being generated? I could use any other advice you can think of. I am trying to do a multi-operator radio contest on Thanksgiving weekend, so I would like to get this fixed as soon as possible. I'll provide more info tomorrow, after I approach the residents.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, Arizona