RFI

Re: [RFI] death of plasma

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] death of plasma
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2017 14:03:24 -0700
On 8/3/2017 1:32 PM, Dave Cole wrote:
You are 100% correct, but if it is mine, I can deal with it quickly, and as I see fit. My concern is other folks Solar stuff... For instance, if I see a home 500 feet away from a perspective home, should I expect problems?

Yes. A solar array for a home about that distance from my SteppIR wipes out 6M in that direction when the sun shines (raises noise floor by 10 dB), and makes a mess on some of the higher HF bands. I only hear it when the sun is shining, which suggests that the source is the charge regulator(s).

If you search my street address on Google Earth you can see my SteppIR as a small almost horizontal bar roughly 100 ft north of the house, and part of the solar array at about 110 degrees az.

Is, so what bands?

Depending on the system, any bands can be affected.

BTW -- noise cancellation doesn't work on sources that are large as a fraction of a wavelength, especially if the source is distributed.

73, Jim K9YC