RFI

Re: [RFI] death of plasma

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] death of plasma
From: donovanf@starpower.net
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2017 12:25:16 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Jim,

My area has built up considerably over the last 30 years since I built
my QTH surrounded by thousands of acres of mostly farmland with
only six small homes within 2000 feet. At that time its was an
exceptionaly RFI quiet QTH with only minor occasional RFI from
a small commercial nursery 4000 feet to the southwest and no other
RFI sources other than occasional power line RFI that has always
been quickly resolved by my very responsive electric power company.

"The big residential development across the street" is actually twelve
homes on one acre lots 500-1200 feet roughly west of my antennas.
O nly one nearby farm remains with several hundred acres in agricultural
preservation northeast of my QTH. About 20 years ago all of the
other nearby farms were lightly developed with about 50 homes
within 2000 feet of my QTH. Its un likely that any further nearby
housing development will occur for many years.

My noise floor is now slightly higher but its still a mostly RFI quiet
QTH. My only serious RFI is one plasma TV about 600 feet away
that affects mostly 10 meters. I've been able to successfully work
around that RFI for the last 15 years, hopefully that plasma TV will
be soon be replaced by a modern RFI quiet TV. The small commercial
nursery has expanded greatly, its now a more significant RFI source
to the southwest mostly on 10 meters.

I've had the usual minor RFI problems from small household
electronic appliances, chargers and computer equipment in a few
of the closest homes but it hasn't been a significant problem.
Thankfully there aren't (yet) any nearby RFI generating solar panels
or high efficiency heating and air conditioners.

This is an aerial view of my surrounding area, it was all farmland
almost "in the middle of nowhere" 30 years ago.

https://goo.gl/maps/B3SibbsgyP62

But I wouldn't trade my 30 year old very RFI-quiet station with its
Drake C-lines, Collins S-lines and Kenwood TS-830s for my
current station with a little more RFI but much more effective
stacked OWA Yagis, rotating towers, 8-circle receiving antennas,
Elecraft K3 and Yaesu FTdx5000 transceivers and computer
logging and internet DX spotting that were undreamed of 30
years ago.

73
Frank
W3LPL