RFI

Re: [RFI] wireless power transfer via 160M band

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] wireless power transfer via 160M band
From: "Hare, Ed W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 19:42:47 +0000
Most of the systems I know of are adjusting the transmit frequency for maximum
power transfer.  This is somewhat dynamic, so the fundamental signal of these
devices tends to wander a few kHz, making the higher-order harmonics wander
quite a bit.

If these devices are inductively coupled, as most of the ones I know of are,
then the fields diminish rapidly with distance.  A device that charges as a
distance has to, well... radiate a signal at a distance, and we can't expect a
1/r^3 decay in field strength from a radiating sytem.

Higher powered chargers could operate under Part 18 and have power in an ISM
band be unlimited. However, there is no ISM band in the MF and LF bands where
most of the chargers operate nowadays.  The low-powered ones operate under Part
15, and have relatively low emissions, but higher-powered ones in the MF and LF
bands will probably need a waiver to be able to do things like charge electric
vehicles.   If given, this waiver would probably be only for the fundamental
frequency, with harmonics and other spurii still meeting Part 15.

I will ask around. I am a member of a ANSI C63 committee working group that is
developing standards on how these devices should be tested.

Ed, W1RFI