RFI

[RFI] Smoke Detectors Beeping

To: "<Rfi@contesting.com>" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Smoke Detectors Beeping
From: Stan Zawrotny <k4sbz.stan@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 13:49:34 -0400
I have been troubled for quite some time with our smoke detectors
frequently beeping (two beeps) when I am working HF. It is worst on 80 and
40, but also occurs frequently when I am on 15 and 20 meters.  The beeping
will be intermittent at intervals of 1-3 minutes and will last for a couple
of minutes after I am through transmitting.

I has happened with several rigs. Yaesu FTdx5000, Flex-6600M and Icom
IC-7300, at power ranging normally from 50-100 watts.

Of course, the antenna system is likely the culprit. It consists of several
OCF dipoles: one 160-10 M and two 80-10 M. (I know OCF dipoles are bad for
RFI). All have 1:1 baluns at the antenna and at the shack.

I have tried clip-on ferrite beads on the power leads of the smoke
detectors without luck.

I just bought a DX Engineering Feedline Current Choke (DXE-FCC050H05-B)
that is supposed to suppress RFI on antenna leads. That is ineffective.

I am now considering replacing the entire smoke detector system. We share a
house with my daughter and there are 9 units tied together in the system,
so the cost will not be small.

Are there other solutions?

Are there brands of smoke detectors that are less susceptible to RFI than
others.

Any other thoughts?

Stan