RFI

[RFI] Home RFI Hunting

To: <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Home RFI Hunting
From: Dave Van Wallaghen <dave@w8fgu.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 13:36:01 -0400
Hi all,

I believe this is my first post to this list, but I've been lurking here for a number of years.

After reading through Jim's, K9YC excellent RFI-Ham paper numerous times, I decided to track down some RFI sources in my home. I listen around 40m quite often and there were a number of SMPS signatures and birdies that I found annoying. So, using the breaker by breaker method, I was able to track down a few sources fairly quickly and eliminate them with a number of turns of the power cord through #31 cores. Worked beautifully just like Jim outlined.

I then set my sights on a pretty horrible buzzing noise that I always heard in the AM broadcast band mostly on the lower end. With my K3 and P3 I found the noise was quite wide starting around 380 kHz to around 660 kHz. I decided to move my setup upstairs and run off a battery while switching off breakers to track the noise. This is where I found out that if I floated the rig and antenna, the noise did not show up at all. But if I grounded the rig to my AC ground system the noise was horrendous. So far, I've tracked this noise to my LCD TV in the living room and my cable modem in the basement. The TV is the largest offender and has the widest signature.

I wound the power cable and HDMI cable several turns (13 or so) around a couple of #31 cores and it did reduce the noise on the upper freq range from 660 kHz down to 580 kHz or so. But what remains is still S9 + 10 at the peaks in the remaining range.

10 - 12 years ago, I had my neighbor, who is an electrician, run a couple of new circuits in the house. A 15 amp circuit to my living room for just my AV equipment and a 20 amp circuit to my shack just for my rigs and supporting equipment. Thinking there might be a wiring problem, I began opening things up to inspect. For these two circuits he ran a multi-wire run (with a few more wires for future expansion) from my panel in garage, through metal conduit to a junction box feeding into my basement (about a 20 foot run). At the junction box, these two circuits run together for about 30 feet where they split off to the living room and my shack. While he ran separate hots and neutrals for each circuit back to panel, he combined the ground wires at the junction box and tied a single ground wire back to the panel.

So, my questions are: as the largest portion of this noise comes from my TV plugged into the AV circuit, would running separate grounds for my AV and shack circuits back to the panel help alleviate some of the noise that I find on my shack circuit ground? Or do you think most of it is being physically coupled? I would have tried this myself, but while certainly doable, it will be a little work to make it happen.

I also read on the Polamar website about using #75 mix Clamp On cores for use on frequency ranges down to 200 kHz. Is this something applicable to my problem?

I thank you all in advance. I have learned a lot from this list over the years and I have learned a lot in the past few weeks as I've begun to clean things up in my own back yard. This problem is a little over my head though and I didn't want to crawl down any more rat holes until I get further direction. Compared to some of the situations I've read here, I didn't think my noise was much of an issue until I turned off my breaker panel. I had no idea how many noise generators I had in my own home!

Thanks again & 73,
Dave W8FGU