RFI

Re: [RFI] Solar Panel RFI in Kings Park - Update October 4th 2018

To: Tony <dxdx@optonline.net>, rfi@contesting.com, "Gruber, Mike W1MG" <mgruber@arrl.org>, Tony Brock-Fisher <barockteer@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Solar Panel RFI in Kings Park - Update October 4th 2018
From: Tom Thompson <w0ivj@tomthompson.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2018 14:04:21 -0600
It won't.  If you put a transmitter inside a screen room with an external antenna, it will radiate.

Tom   W0IVJ

On 10/6/2018 1:59 PM, Tony wrote:
All:

The RF Engineers from Solar Edger came out to my home this week to assess the noise emanating from my neighbors solar panel system.

They plugged into my antennas to view the spectral noise on my receiver which they then compared to the spectral noise that appeared on their portable setup near the solar panels. They determined the noise to be one and the same.

The next course of action is to improve the ground system and install RF absorbing foam to each optimizer. I also convinced them to replace the snap-on ferrites located at each optimizer, with larger ones so they can loop several turns of cable around each core.

They originally said they would just go with the RF foam which is puzzling: I don't understand how encasing a noisy device with this stuff could suppress RFI when the device is attached to long runs of cable that act like antennas. Can anyone explain how that would work?

Tony -K2MO