RFI

Re: [RFI] Portables for sniffing RFI

To: Gary Johnson <gwj@wb9jps.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Portables for sniffing RFI
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 18:31:47 +0000
No connection other than I use several of their products:  The AirSpy line
of SDR's when operating under SDR# allows for a very spiff spectrum
analyzer.  SpectrumSpy, the free ware than comes with SDR#, allows full
scan as a spectrum analyzer from roughly 20 MHz through 1.8 GHz.  Minimum
span is 10 MHz (plus/minus 5 MHz around the center frequency).  I've not
tried the AirSpy HF+ in this respect, but knowing AirSpy through their
products, I'll bet it does.

Dave - WØLEV. .

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 5:37 PM Gary Johnson <gwj@wb9jps.com> wrote:

> I have a fairly tired, used, Realistic DX-398. Sensitivity is fine for
> noise sniffing. S meter is highly nonlinear but after testing it I know how
> to interpret it (you should check the one on the Tecsuns and see how they
> work, too…). Antenna is a very cheap and simple resonant loop with very
> high transducer gain, excellent directionality, and requires no power :-)
> This rig has served me well in RFI hunts at many QTHs.
> http://wb9jps.com/Gary_Johnson/RFI_files/Handheld_DF_Antenna.pdf
>
> As for portable spectrum analyzers, sensitivity is really important unless
> you want to spend all your time looking at very slow scans with narrow RBW.
> Requires a preamp unless the RFI is outrageously loud. That’s one reason
> that folks have been using tiny SDRs and laptops. Also a wideband antenna
> is more much useful than a narrowband one like mine. The KQ6RS antenna
> would make a good companion, I think.
>
> -Gary NA6O

*Dave - WØLEV*
*Just Let Darwin Work*