RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI Digest, Vol 199, Issue 3

To: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>, Gary Johnson <gwj@wb9jps.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI Digest, Vol 199, Issue 3
From: "Hare, Ed W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2019 08:12:45 +0000
Devices that operate above 9 kHz are regulated by the FCC.

The definition of ISM in Part 18 explains why fluorescent RF-lighting devices
are regulated as ISM devices:

"(c) Industrial, scientific, and medical (ISM) equipment. Equipment or
appliances designed to generate and use locally RF energy for industrial,
scientific, medical, domestic or similar purposes, excluding applications in
the field of telecommunication. Typical ISM applications are the production of
physical, biological, or chemical effects such as heating, ionization of gases,
mechanical vibrations, hair removal and acceleration of charged particles>."

Here is a summary of the Part 18 vs Part 15 limits for consumer equipment:

Conducted emissions:

0.009 to 2.51 MHz - Part 18 - 48 dBuV ("maximum")
2.51 to 3.0 MHz - Part 18 - 69.5 dBuV ("maximum")
3.0 to 30 MHz - Part 18 - 48 dBuV ("maximum)
>30 MHz - Part 18 - none
All ISM-band frequencies - Part 18 - none

0.009 - 0.15 MHz - Part 15 - none
0.15 to 0.5 MHz - Part 15 - 66 dBuV to 56 dBuV (q.p)
0.5 to 5.0 MHz - Part 15 - 56 dBuV (q.p)
5.0 to 30 MHz - Part 15 - 60 dBuV (q.p)
Above 30 MHz  - none

Radated emissions:

Below 30 MHz - Part 18 - none
30 - 88 MHz - Part 18 - 20 dBuV/m @ 30 m distance
88 - 216 MHz - Part 18 - 23.5 dBuV/m @ 30 m distance
216 - 1000 MHz - Part 18 - 26 dBuV/m @ 30 m distance
Any ISM frequency - none

Below 30 MHz - Part 15 - none
30 - 88 MHz - 34.3 dBuV/m corrected to 30 m distance
88-216 MHz - 38.8 dBuV/m corrected to 30 m distance
216 - 960 MHz - 41.7 dBuV/m corrected to 30 m distance
Above 960 MHz - 44.8 dBuV/m corrected to 30 m distance

After correcting for the distances for compliance specified in the rules, the
Part 18 limits approximately 10 to 15 dB more stringent than the Part 15
limits, so I am not sure why some are claiming that the industry was a powerful
lobby to get themselves regulated as an ISM device.  Perhaps they can explain
why they believe that manufacturers lobbied to get more stringent limits.

Fluorescent lamps do not operate on any of the designated iSM frequencies that
have no limits, so they must comply with the table above.

Ed, W1RFI
ARRL Lab