RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI Digest, Vol 199, Issue 3

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI Digest, Vol 199, Issue 3
From: Gary Johnson <gwj@wb9jps.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2019 12:42:46 -0700
From the FCC site   https://www.fcc.gov/oet/ea/rfdevice
------------
INDUSTRIAL, SCIENTIFIC, AND MEDICAL EQUIPMENT (Part 18)

When electronic-electrical products are used for providing RF energy for other than telecommunications applications, such as for the production of physical, biological, or chemical effects, such as heating, ionization of gases, mechanical vibrations, and acceleration of charged particles, these devices fall under the FCC rules 47 CFR Part 18.

Examples include: fluorescent lighting, halogen ballasts, arc welders, microwave ovens, and medical diathermy machines.
And it *is* RF because the newer switching ballasts ionize the gas above 8 kHz, not 60 Hz. And they are absolutely hideous RFI generators...

Dying a slow death from RFI,
Gary NA6O