RFI

Re: [RFI] Ferrite core and hot glue?

To: Leonard Halvorsen <lhalvors@pppl.gov>, martin@ok1rr.com, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Ferrite core and hot glue?
From: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 09:34:27 -0500
Google says YUP you can buy it all over, and saw in the summaries where people were home brewing up some for toroids.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Q-Dope&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjH38PvmpnkAhXCY98KHXnsAYcQ_AUIuAkoAA&biw=1440&bih=762

Joe WB9SBD
Sig
The Original Rolling Ball Clock
Idle Tyme
Idle-Tyme.com
http://www.idle-tyme.com
On 8/23/2019 9:27 AM, Leonard Halvorsen via RFI wrote:
Us older guys remember something called Q-DOPE.
We used it at the Lab to attach all kinds of stuff, not just on coils.
Can you even GET that stuff anymore?

Leo H.
WA2AMW

Martin,

About the only way to damage a ferrite core is to heat it above the
curie point or to crack it by dropping it or contacting it with a hard
object.  61 material ferrite has a Curie temperature in excess of 300
deg. C.  I have measured cores that were held to a PCB via nothing, hot
glue, silicone, epoxy, and double sided tape and couldn't measure any
difference.  However if you use so much adhesive that it get up on the
turns the performance can change since there will be some increase in
the winding capacitance.

Larry, W0QE