RFI

Re: [RFI] Grow Lights

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Grow Lights
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2020 12:04:59 -0800
On 1/7/2020 11:46 AM, AA5CT via RFI wrote:
DFing at these frequencies is more art than science;

It's important to recognize the difference between electronic sources and impulse noise sources. Tracking them is VERY different -- the spectrum of electronic sources consists of harmonics of LF square waves, so very frequency dependent and rarely goes to VHF, while the spectrum of impulse noise is infinite, going well into UHF.

Impulse noise is best tracked at the highest frequencies where we can hear it -- I start around 160 MHz, then go up around 500 MHz when I get close.

Electronic noise must be tracked on the frequencies where it bothers us, so a battery operated RX tuned to those frequencies. Even better is DSP RX with spectrum and waterfall display. See my tutorial about building contest scores by killing noise and NK7Z's website. k9yc.com/publish.htm

73, Jim K9YC