RFI

Re: [RFI] AM Broadcast Intermod?

To: N4ZR <n4zr@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] AM Broadcast Intermod?
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 17:17:58 +0000
Before you contact anyone, install a BC SBF or an HPF with a corner about
1.8 MHz.  These should be at least a 4-section Chebyshev design.  You could
also try paralleling your feedline with a shunt-connected 103-foot open
terminated coax of RG58 (assumed Vf of 0.66).  That is a 1/4-wavelength
'short' at 1570 kHz.  If any of the three make the problem go away or
become noticeably weaker, the problem is on your end.  If not, highly
likely its a loose guy wire on their transmitting tower, or similar close
to the BC tower.

Dave - WØLEV

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 5:06 PM N4ZR <n4zr@comcast.net> wrote:

> I'm embarrassed to admit that I had overlooked a noise-maker in my
> shack, my 1 TB USB disk drive.  I cleaned that up with a few turns of
> the DC power cable around a type 31 toroid, and now I've uncovered
> something under it.  It's a wideband signal (tuning makes no
> difference), but sounds very much like a badly distorted broadcast station.
>
> Just on a hunch, I tried tuning across the AM broadcast band, and found
> a loud AM sports radio station on 1570 KHz that appears to be
> broadcasting the same content - pauses, pitch of voices, etc. all seem
> to match..  Unfortunately, just before I could get set up to record, the
> voices on 160 suddenly went away.  I'm assuming they'll be back, and
> while I wait to get a recording I'm wondering:
>
> *  Does this sound like intermod, or some other phenomenon?
>
> * Is it the result of something wrong at the station?
>
> * If so, how best to approach them about it?
>
> --
> 73, Pete N4ZR
> Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
> at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now