RFI

[RFI] AM Broadcast Intermod?

To: RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] AM Broadcast Intermod?
From: N4ZR <n4zr@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 12:05:53 -0500
I'm embarrassed to admit that I had overlooked a noise-maker in my shack, my 1 TB USB disk drive.  I cleaned that up with a few turns of the DC power cable around a type 31 toroid, and now I've uncovered something under it.  It's a wideband signal (tuning makes no difference), but sounds very much like a badly distorted broadcast station.

Just on a hunch, I tried tuning across the AM broadcast band, and found a loud AM sports radio station on 1570 KHz that appears to be broadcasting the same content - pauses, pitch of voices, etc. all seem to match..  Unfortunately, just before I could get set up to record, the voices on 160 suddenly went away.  I'm assuming they'll be back, and while I wait to get a recording I'm wondering:

*  Does this sound like intermod, or some other phenomenon?

* Is it the result of something wrong at the station?

* If so, how best to approach them about it?

--
73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network