RFI

Re: [RFI] mysterious voices, music come from house's walls

To: <ny9h@arrl.net>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] mysterious voices, music come from house's walls
From: "Mike & Becca Krzystyniak" <k9mk@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 09:28:03 -0600
I lived 1 mile south of the WCFL towers, 60's & 70's.
Back then we always heard the programming on the phone lines it worsened when
it rained.
Sometimes on the FM radio too.
I don't recall other other items being interfered with.
Eventually Ma-Bell came up with a special order RFI phone, that actually worked.
I had the pleasure of touring the WCFL transmitter building one evening.
The one thing I recall was the light switches did not work.
When the TX was on, 100% of the flourscent lighting was on too.  :-)
Back then the antenna was in an open corn field.
These days that area is largely built out.
My guess there are dozens of circumstantial RFI issues.

MK

PS: My crystal set didn't need a coil.  Just clip it on a ground and you had
WCFL...