RFI

[RFI] Samsung oven RFI update

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Samsung oven RFI update
From: "Dan" <w8car@buckeye-express.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 13:42:43 -0400
Gents, I wound 10 turns of an old computer AC cord around 2 cores I had laying
around. Not sure of their lineage but think they might be 43 or 61 mix. These
have an ID of about 1.5 inches. I also added a bunch of snap on ferrite to the
remaining cord.  This was for testing purposes only as it would not be a safe
NEC approved install. The termination of one end of the cord was an wall outlet
sans box wrapped in electrical tape

I pulled the stove out (getting pretty good at this!) and installed the jury
rigged choke in line with the power cord.

RESULTS: Initial results show NO RFI to the stove at 100 watt level on any
band. On 20, the worst offender, I could get up to about 1KW before the oven
began to fault. All other bands seemed to be fine at full power.

Next steps: I ordered some of the Fair rite 2631814002 31 mix toroids from
Newark on line. These have a 3 inch ID to allow winding cord easily. They
seemed to have the best price of any supplier at this time. When those arrive I
will be making the MOC (mother of all chokes) up for permanent installation. I
think with the right material and careful planning the problem should be under
control.

I am still going to contact Samsung so they have a record of the problem if
anything further happens or the oven craps out unexpectedly.

Once again, Thanks to all, especially W1VLF of the ARRL, for his call and
advice.

I will keep the list posted when I get the new choke installed – hopefully a
success story!

73
Dan W8CAR

Socially distancing but reaching out via the ether