RFI

Re: [RFI] Noise centered around 20 meters

To: "Hare, Ed W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>, Thomas Mills <tsmills@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noise centered around 20 meters
From: Gary <gary_mayfield@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 00:05:43 +0000
Thanks Ed!

From: Hare, Ed W1RFI <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 23, 2020 6:37 PM
To: Thomas Mills <tsmills@bellsouth.net>; Gary <gary_mayfield@hotmail.com>
Cc: rfi@contesting.com

> Anyone have any suggestions for approaching a neighbor you have not met
> (if it's in a house) in this era of social distancing?

Even without social distancing, that can be a challenge at best.  The neighbor
probably bought some device or another that is making noise. Let's assume he
bought a whole basement worth of commercial fluorescent lights at a big-box
hardware store.  You now have to convince him that this device is being
operated in violation of some federal law he never heard of and certainly can't
understand.  (If he has to filter his device, why can't you just filter your
radio.)

Honestly, that is not a conversation that some hams want to have with a
neighbor, and some hams just walk away.  Others have asked ARRL to write them a
letter, and we are willing to do that, in consultation with the ham, of course.
 If you do get to have that conversation, you may need to stand by what is
right, but in a way that recognizes that the neighbor does not have your
understanding of the issues involved.

Some hams have had success approaching a neighbor about an "interesting"
problem and persuading the neighbor that local solutions to local problems are
best.  Other hams have had miserable failures demanding their rights as
licensed amateur operators and threatening the neighbor with the FCC. If any
good neighbors who are friends know this guy, that may help.  Keep in mind this
could be something like a grow light for, um.... indoor gardening, so some
neighbors can be nervous and some even dangerous. If you can get past that,
some hams have reminded neighbors that no one wants to get the FCC involved
because the process is cumbersome and we do not know what interagency
agreements the FCC may have with other federal agencies.

First, read this link. It offers some guidance on "personal diplomacy" to help
that conversation go smoothly.

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/RFI%20Main%20Page/InterferencePrimer.pdf

Then, go to ARRL's web page, Technology section and read the power-line
material.  This is not a power-line problem but that page described the
cooperative agreement between ARRL staff and FCC staff to resolve interference
problems of all sorts.

Ed, W1RFI
ARRL Lab
Interference Primer - Parts 1 and 2 Derived from QST Lab
Notes<http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/RFI%20Main%20Page/InterferencePrimer.pdf>
Interference Primer - Parts 1 and 2 Derived from QST Lab Notes (February and
March 1992) Ed Hare, W1RFI, Laboratory Supervisor, now grapples with one of the
most difficult problems in Amateur Radio: electromagnetic interference, or EMI.
EMI is a catch-all . term for TVI, RFI, BCI and any other form of
electromagnetically generated interference.
www.arrl.org<http://www.arrl.org>