RFI

Re: [RFI] 2 MW Solar Farm

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>, "jim@audiosystemsgroup.com" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] 2 MW Solar Farm
From: "Hare, Ed W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 11:50:21 +0000
It probably is true, Jim.  The EU has limits that apply in more circumstances
than in the US.  For example, below 30 MHz, the only US limits are that which
are conducted onto the AC mains.  There are no limits on the conducted
emissions on all the wiring between panels, between panels and optimizers and
between optimizers and the input to any inverters used by the system. If they
are not conducting power onto the 240-volt grid, and these big ones certainly
are not, there may not even be limits on what is conducted onto the
higher-voltage lines.

There are no radiated emissions limits below 30 MHz.

I am going to get out to a few local solar farms here, just to see how much
noise they make.  I have been to a few that were quiet, found while on various
road trips, but it was not certain that they were yet in operation.

Ed, W1RFI