RFI

Re: [RFI] NEW REFRIGERATOR/FREEZER from KITCHENAID

To: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] NEW REFRIGERATOR/FREEZER from KITCHENAID
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2020 15:18:47 +0000
Removal of the components that allow SMPS's to pass FCC, if they are tested
at all from China, has become a common practice.  It's a juicy given for
the contract manufacturers!  This practice has been common for nearly 15 to
20 years.  You guessed it:  "With Love, from China".  Most are not even
tested for EMI/RFI these days.  And China has taught others to follow in
their footsteps.  Again........, where is the FCC???

Dave - WØLEV

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 2:27 PM KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net> wrote:

> "I wouldn't be surprised if the noisy circuit has mounting holes on the
> pc board for RF suppression components that they added to pass a
> compliance test, then
> left off in production."
>
> No surprise there, if so.  20 years ago, I worked for a company
> designing much of what we use to communicate online now.  Prototype
> power supplies were designed, and tested, exceeding specs.  They were
> reviewed state-side, found good, and put into production.  Somewhere
> around 10,000 - 15,000 units were ordered to be distributed with the
> product as there was a considerable price drop at those numbers, far
> less than the FCC/CE/UL certified units from Digikey, at under $3 a pop.
>   Later, it was found out why.  ALL suppression, and filtering
> components were removed.  It was easier to send out the bad units, they
> worked, than find a legitimate supplier in Asia.  Eventually, the
> company went under, and all assets auctioned off.  God only knows where
> the garbage SMPSUs were later used.
>
> Kurt

*Dave - WØLEV*
*Just Let Darwin Work*