RFI

[RFI] Fwd: Re: Difficult power line RFI find.

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Fwd: Re: Difficult power line RFI find.
From: Charles Plunk <af4o@twc.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 12:01:55 -0600
You are so right on matching the noise, and it sure helps if you catch your target noise fluctuating so that it has a recognizable pattern. I recently found a correct pole but previously identified another pole that had noise but not the one I was tracking. Doing it right, I re-transmitted my noise from the HF receiver to UHF FM HT while comparing to the noise pattern on VHF AM HT and 3 element yagi tape measure beam. Unfortunately this was shortly before the ice/snow storm and the noise has yet to return to try to hear it with ultrasonic dish.

Nearly all my noise over the past 3 decades is on a old 3 phase that runs up the street. Most every pole has some noise at 144mhz AM if you get close enough and it radiates up and down the lines it seems. Good news is all those poles are easily accessible from the street or right of way.

73
Chuck
AF4O