RFI

Re: [RFI] Experience negotiating with Solar Panel RFI Owners

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Experience negotiating with Solar Panel RFI Owners
From: Tony <73guddx@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 02:40:05 -0400

3. Am I doomed to not have workable HF at home? 73 Chris KC2IEB

Chris:

If you're SURE that the noise is coming from your neighbors system, find out the name of the installer and the name of the company who manufactured the system. Your neighbor should be able to provide the installers information (be polite) and the installer should have the manufactures info. You can file a complaint once you have this information. Keep a record of your phone calls and emails.

I can tell you first hand that Solar Edge systems are notorious for causing RFI. In most of the cases I've seen, the noise pattern is the same from one installation to the next.

The video below shows the RFI pattern caused by my neighbors Solar Edge system here in New York which is identical to the noise shown in figure-3 of Randy's QST article which was taken in California. There's the usual spikes every 200 KHz along with other noise across the spectrum.

This may or may not be relevant to your situation, but these noise patterns might give you an idea of what to expect if your neighbor happens to have a Solar Edge system.

If you need an SDR to document the interference, I can lend you one.

Tony -K2MO

Video links:

Video #1:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9awWs4mwC4

Video #2:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcx75m_zbv8