RFI

Re: [RFI] New ARRL Mission statement > Was solar fix

To: "Hare, Ed, W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>, "David E. Crawford" <dcsubs@molniya1.com>, Mike Fatchett W0MU <w0mu@w0mu.com>, "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] New ARRL Mission statement > Was solar fix
From: martin glazer via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2024 23:27:27 +0000 (UTC)
Agree.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Friday, July 26, 2024, 4:22 PM, Hare, Ed, W1RFI via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
wrote:

<Short rebuttal to long essay:  the current rules aren't good enough.>

In general, I agree, but changing FCC rules, especially to make unlicensed
emissions limits more stringent, is not the best solution, because it can take
an incredible amount of time and the outcome is not certain. I can say with
certainty that the FCC will never set those limits low enough to prevent all
interference to amateur radio.  The political resistance would not be futile.

I could have written a dozen more paragraphs, but one point worth mentioning is
that we now have more interest by OET in these noisy devices. Now that we have
an inroad to report devices that exceed the emissions limits, the Lab can and
will do more testing, once they are identified.  And even for otherwise legal
devices, the FCC is taking some action wrt harmful interference.  Both types of
FCC contact and cooperation will continue and the Lab staff will continue to
work with industry.  ARRL is uniquely positioned to do both.