RFI

Re: [RFI] New ARRL Mission statement > Was solar fix

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] New ARRL Mission statement > Was solar fix
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2024 10:32:44 -0700
On 7/27/2024 9:52 AM, Mike Fatchett W0MU wrote:

While getting the FCC to change may be hard, I think we need to try.

While I admire your attitude, and share it about many issues, Ed Hare is absolutely right -- this is not one we can ever hope to win. Ed and I both have long followed the politics of this -- Ed from the perspective of being the League's presence on the national and international level of EMC, and me from the much broader perspective of electoral politics in general and the overwhelming influence of big money that has increased exponentially during my lifetime. We are not, and never will be, even a flea on the pimple of the ass of the beast.

There was once a wise man who taught us to fight for what we can change, accept what we can't, and the wisdom to know the difference. (I'm paraphrasing, and have forgotten which wise man it was.)

What we CAN do is what W0LEV and NA6O have been doing -- testing suspect products before buying -- and taking defective stuff back to vendors and getting our money back. And talking to mfrs of noisy products when they are accessible; Ed can tell us about that. At least 20 years ago, I found someone intelligent at Lutron to talk to about their dimmers, some of them were much quieter than other products.

73, Jim K9YC