[RTTY] Bandwidth of a RTTY signal (was:SO2R RTTY Radio)

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Bandwidth of a RTTY signal (was:SO2R RTTY Radio)
From: w1zt@mediaone.net (George Johnson)
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 18:01:10 -0400
Jay, Ekki, and all,
I suspect you are both correct but I would also like to consult with the
signal processing experts on the math.  Ekki, can you steer me to some math
sources on your BW calculations?

I am also using the IC 756PRO as Ekki is and have to make sure my narrowest
settings in crowded conditions are a little wider.  I settled on 300 Hz as I
found 250 Hz too narrow.  This was just by experimenting.

But, Jay, this is a DSP filter inside the AGC loop with "brick wall" sides.
I also was OK with my IC 765 with its 250 Hz "standard shape" filter.
Again, as Ekki noted, this was with weaker signals in crowded conditions
that I was OK with the narrow filter on the 765 but not OK with the 756PRO.
I did a "shape test" with Brian Beezley's RITTY display and found both radio
filters to be very accurate in both bandwidth and center frequency.  But, of
course, the skirts on the DSP filter were as vertical on the display as I
could visually detect.  (about 30 db or so).  The audio actually drops off
like a stone.

So I am now interested in the math to see if there is some correlation I
could match up.  Ekki's analysis is the first I have seen on "practical"
bandwidth calculation.

Any other "wizards" out there ??  (Chen...)

73, George .. W1ZT