[RTTY] RTTY 23 - Someone please kill it!

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] RTTY 23 - Someone please kill it!
From: etienne.rosseel@pandora.be (ON7UI/Etienne)
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 14:37:58 +0200
>I think that with some refining, it could possibly be
> quite good.. yes, it seemed to require critical tuning.. just a few
> Hz or so off freq and it was no copy.. if my vfo/clarifier was
> slower/wider it would seem to be easier to more quickly tune.. and,
> like many I suspect, it'd be better/nicer to do it fsk instead of
> afsk and that presents probs in many radios
> Tom Moore/WX4TM ex KL7Q

I agree with that. I think when operating this mode for contest one has to
change
habits . Most operators used their normal (170Hz) buffers, like " CQ TEST DE
XX1XX XX1XX " . For me this was much to short to tune in , it should have
been longer.
Fsk would be nicer, but I prefer 170Hz for rtty contesting. At 170Hz it just
sounds better and I can almost tune in by ear but with this mode ( and
PSK31) one is very dependent
on the software for tuning and I don't like that. As most radio's are
depending on software now I don't think it is difficult for manufacturers to
let you make the choice of the shift and centre frequency. Most of the
radio's are only made for " standard modes"
and as a consequence software experimenters/developers use one of these
modes. It
looks silly to me to use a 23Hz shift on a radio in SSB  (AFSK) witch only
let me a choice of 2.7 KHz SSB filters.
Etienne/ON7UI