[RTTY] RTTY 23 - Someone please kill it!

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] RTTY 23 - Someone please kill it!
From: aa5au@bellsouth.net (Don Hill AA5AU)
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 16:24:37 -0500
Andy et al,

Perhaps I was a bit harsh in my first post.  I hope I didn't offend anyone.
That wasn't the intention.

I know several people put a lot of time and effort in developing these new
modes, which is fine.  I thank them for that and hope they continue to create
new modes for us to try.

I think the tuning problem could be solved with a better display or tuning
indicator.  At first it appears to be difficult to tune, but it's just like a
RTTY
signal except it's very tiny on our displays.  AFC didn't help much either.

You need both a fast and slow AFC.  You need a fast AFC to tune in
a signal.  You need a slow AFC or none when calling CQ.  I noticed that
when I go to receive after CQ'ing, the AFC wonders off frequency so fast
that if someone does call you, by the time the AFC locks onto the signal,
you've missed the callsign.  Many stations, including myself, resorted to
sending
a short string of RY's at the start of each message to allow others time to
tune.  This is, of course, a step in the wrong direction.

The problem I see is on receive.  A weak signal is barely printing, then someone
fires up .5 khz away and you lose the signal.  I was using a Kenwood TS-870
trying both regular sideband filter in its narrowest position 400hz (1000hz on
the
low side, 1400 hz on the high side) and the PSK filter which is 300 hz, but
neither seemed to help knock down nearby signals.  I know many radios can
use the CW filter in SSB mode and this may help.

Another problem I notice is that if the signal takes a hit, it seems to take a
longer
period of time for the receive to recover, missing a lot more characters than
the
normal 170 hz shift.  I'm not sure why that is.

The problem with this exercise is that everyone is pretty inexperienced at this
new mode and settings are not correct.  Only a handful of stations actually came
back to me on the same frequency I was transmitting on.  Most were off by a lot
which means no print.  With 170 hz shift, you can be off quite a bit and still
get
some print.

I saw that George, W1ZT, commented that he likes transmitting AFSK and
has worked on filtering solutions.  I was using an external JPS NIR-12 that
knocked the audio down to just a sliver of bandwidth and it helped, but as soon
as someone came on within .5 khz, weak signals would disappear!  Maybe it's
my radio, I don't know.  I do know that I can sit next to a station running a KW
at .5 khz and barely notice he's there if I'm running my 250 hz with my radio
in the FSK mode.

23 hz RTTY probably would work quite well if you could build it into the
FSK part of your radio.  Problem is convincing the radio manufactures to
go to the expense of adding it (maybe they will!).

Until then, the mode seems too difficult to work for us old time 170 hz
STEAM RTTY ops.

I think there's a few more hours left in the contest.  I'm going to jump in
and play around with it some more.

73, Don AA5AU