[RTTY] Re: [WriteLog] rtty RX comparation

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Re: [WriteLog] rtty RX comparation
From: wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 07:18:21 -0500
> I wonder if anybody make some real tests between all popular HW/SW on the
field?
> What are suggestions for use? ( MMTTY, RITTY, PK232, P38, etc)

> 73,
> Goran ANDRIC, the S55OO.com

Boy, that question will generate some traffic, eh?  No data to show you
Goran, but I'll give you my experience, and I'll bet it's not too far off
the general consensus...  We'll see:

RITTY/K6STI might be the very best modem, although I've never used an
ST-8000 ($).  RITTY is awesome with polar flutter and mutipath.  RITTY and
the DXP38 are similar, but RITTY has AFC, VERY useful in contests where
people call off-freq.  The DXP tuning meter is difficult to use fast, as in
a contest.  (Not such a big deal if you don't mind tuning with your own
oscilloscope and/or you're not contesting).  RITTY requires a soundboard to
be SB16 or -very- close...won't work with all.  For RITTY, best to have ISA
SoundBlaster 16 card in a DOS computer.

MMTTY seems to be -very- good, maybe similar to RITTY.  MMTTY is a Windows
program, and has AFC - thus very popular!

If you use the Rttyrite copy available with the soundcard with the Writelog
program, you can use both channels of the soundcard and so SO2R with one
computer.  Rttyrite is pretty darn good too, although a little weaker on
polar and muti at times.

So, it depends on:

1.  Computer/soundcard - old or new
2.  Do you have/like DOS computer?
3.  $?
4.  How much you want AFC?
5.  Whether you want SO2R?
6.  Contesting or casual?

I have a PK-232 also, and I think it is the worst of the bunch.  However,
some like them very much, and some have modified them to work even better
than stock.  For example, AA5AU uses PK-232s, and you know he does very
well!!  ;-)  (He also uses a soundcard program (Rttyrite or MMTTY) in
another window with parallel audio, so he has 2 chances of printing the
exchange - the soundcard or the PK-232.

MMTTY has been popular because it is very good, FREE, works with all Windows
soundcards, and has AFC.  In the list above, the only possible "weakness" is
not doing SO2R, but you might not be interested in that anyway or could use
an outboard modem for the 2nd radio - some older ones available very cheap.

Good luck, Goran!  Hope to print you in CQWWRTTY soon!  73 - John