[RTTY] RE: rtty RX comparation PK-232 front end

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] RE: rtty RX comparation PK-232 front end
From: jflanders2@home.com (Jerry Flanders)
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 21:57:33 -0400
A major feature of the PK-232 that Don does not mention is the ability to
easily interface an external "front end" to it. It is easy to bypass the
PK-232's filters (that were _never_ optimum for 170 Hz RTTY anyway) and
replace it with more optimum circuits to convert the tones into 5-bit TTL
level signals.

I have used an old highly tuned ST-6 with near optimum post-detection 45
baud low-pass filtering for years in this configuration by tapping in just
before the ST-6's loop keying circuit and converting it to TTL. It's copy
far surpasses the early sound card demodulators.  I have more recently used
a second PC running a copy of MMTTY, directing it's output to a COM port on
that second PC, then translating that port's voltage level to TTL and
patching it over to the PK-232, which is feeding WL on the first PC.

In the above configuration, I get to continue using the PK-232 as FSK keyer
and CW keyer while still taking advantage of possibly better external
demodulators.

The external demod input is on the back of the PK-232 - you have to rewire
jumpers inside the case to enable it. The manual covers it well.

I am rebuilding my station now, integrating my new IC-756PRO into it, and
considered tossing the PK-232s, but decided to keep them in the rebuild
because they do such a good job of FSK and CW. I may drop the ST-6, though
- I have to compare it carefully to MMTTY running on that second PC before
I am sure.

I use these PK-232's exclusively for 45 baud RTTY, and those needing other
modes would also need to provide for switching the original PK232
filters/demodulator back in for those modes. This can be done with an
external switch.

Jerry W4UK