[RTTY] DXP38 vs MMTTY tuning faceoff

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] DXP38 vs MMTTY tuning faceoff
From: mobile.workshop@guernseytelecoms.com (Mobile Workshop)
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 08:30:24 +0100
Hi all,

Well, this may sound daft, (and I am sure it is!!) BUT, I use 1275/1445
mark/shift, (USB of course), and find that I can tune by ear almost all of
the time.
When I first started using MMTTY, I was confused by the higher tones, and
found that they were very hard to tune by ear, and no-where near as clear as
the lower tones. I do understand the reasoning behind the idea of the higher
tones, especially with soundcard RTTY, but I found that these tones do not
suit the filters I have on my rig (FT900). They always seem to be just
outside the reach of the filters, and don't seem very clear.

Now I use MMTTY (using the lower tones) in conjunction with WF1B, and I find
that I can tune by ear, and fine adjustments are done using the
waterfall/crossed bananas display.

Is this just me being daft, a figment of my imagination, or something less
obvious??
Then again, this is from someone who uses USB as well, and tunes UP the
band, rather than LSB and DOWN the band!
I also use AFSK, as the FT900 doesn't have FSK fitted. (Another reason why
my spots on the cluster are not what you expect!)

73 for now
Phil GU0SUP

PS.......... I don't have the level of understanding that seems so simple to
Chen!

and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom
they are addressed. If you have received this email in error
please notify the author immediately and delete it, together
with all copies, from your system.  You are unauthorised to
directly, or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print or copy
any part of this message if you are not its intended recipient.
 Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of
Guernsey Telecoms.

Information held on any of Guernsey Telecoms' computer
systems is the property of Guernsey Telecoms. Guernsey
Telecoms reserves the right to monitor and review the
content of all information, messages and attachments sent
to or from this e-mail address.