[RTTY] RE: Chen's view of the conditions!

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] RE: Chen's view of the conditions!
From: raj@logicresources.com (Raj VE6RAJ)
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 15:58:09 -0600
Hi Shelby:

I agree that there is lots of good information there. However it seems
to break down in the practical application. Can you imagine calling a
station in the CQWW SSB test thus:

"VE6RAJ VE6RAJ VE6RAJ K1XXX"
or
"599 04 599 04 VE6RAJ"

Yet quite often in a rtty test I get VE6RAJ VE6RAJ VE6RAJ DE K1XXX

I do know my own call sign. RTTY contetsing is no different than the
other modes. Make sure the calling station gets your call sign, and work
on the premise that the calling station knows his own call sign.

Stations should also be aware of conditions, especially at the receiving
end. Sometimes longer exchanges are more efficient. The first indicator
is the calling stastion asking for repeats. If you hear a station in the
auroral zone, his reception will be vastly different from an equatorial
station. Higher static levels, deep fading and lots of flutter are what
you will have to overcome. Sending useless information doesn't help:

K1XXX AGN RPT REPORT PSE BK
VE6RAJ VE6RAJ VE6498 LKSXJ@$\FGHAA HGFKSU/YW&OKXX
K1XXX RPT AGN REPORT PSE BK
VE6RAJ VE6RAJ VE6RAJ UR LSKJD*@K&KS OATQ JHS

The guys age is 61 right, or do you just accept the most feasible piece
of info and end the pain. Who knows what his age is. A three second
buffer that goes 48 48 48 48 48 48 would be far more efficient.

SINGH'S LAW: In any given exchange, static, flutter, QSB will only
affect the most relevant piece of information.

As I said, trhere is tons of good info at that URL, I would take out the
bit about "Whatever works the best for you, is what you should do". For
contesting the site should state: "Here's how to do it:"

Anyway, speaking of working efficiently, I worked K6BIR late Friday
night. I just kept hitting the wrong F-key. First I sent him TNX-QRZ,
then I forget which key I hit. Finally got it right. Had to switch back
to coffee.

73
Raj VE6RAJ