[RTTY] new thread.. the RTTY Amplifier

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] new thread.. the RTTY Amplifier
From: wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 21:29:14 -0500
> > Ok guys, I've got the hots for a new amp for rtty contesting..

If you can stand the approximately 1/4 S-unit decrease you will have with
1000W instead of 1500, then consider the Icom PW-1.  I recently chose it
over the 87A for several reasons - 1) Not only is it "auto-tune", it also
has an automatic ANTENNA tuner;  2) It has a 4-antenna switch;  3)  No
tubes;  and 4)  Less expensive.

I enjoy remoting it.  The fans actually work - They don't just maintain or
slow rate of rise, they actually cool it down from where it was when they
came on.  It has a temperature guage.  It covers 6M.  It is actually -cool-
to the touch even when running RTTY Q's during a contest.  I'm going to have
to find somewhere else to fry my eggs now!

If you use it with an Icom rig and have antennas plugged in to support all
the bands, then it's just QSY and go, QRO, instantly!  It only takes about
30W for KW output.

I had dreamed of an 87A for so long, I almost had some sort of buyer's
remorse when I finally ordered the PW-1.  However, after I got it on the
desk and operating, I'm happy that I made the decision for the PW-1.  73