[RTTY] Down and out

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Down and out
From: KS0M@ktis.net (Dick White)
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 21:24:33 -0600
Jon  -  WB0YJF and the others who offered help,

I am using a KAM PLUS with Hostmaster soft ware. In looking at my IC-735
manual, it appears that I can use afsk and wire through the mic connectior.
Due to the configuration needed for the Paragon, I had to build an interface
box for it, to operate rtty. I am useing the interface terminal and made a 3
wire cable connection to the the Icom. I made a cable and wired pin 1 to
audio in;  pin 5  to PTT,  pin 6 ground,  pin 8 to audio out.  When I first
used it, the rig was in key down mode. But, by moving  the wires, I found it
stopped doing that. So, I figured it must be a short in my jumper cable. I
found  a short on one of the rca plugs and fixed it. That stopped the key
down problem. I did make one qso. So, it did send and receive ok and seems
to be working. The TNC and software did not seem to be the problem. Hoever,
the filtering is really bad and I am going to try and use an external filter
to narrow it down. If I can get the filter to work, I will probably spend
some time in the ARRL RU after all. Thanks for your offer to help.

For John - W0DC.
 I have no idea what happened to the Paragon. I had just turned it on and it
went out. The meter lights still were on, but no read out and nothing
worked. The heat sink got warm so It must have still been in transmit. No
smoke or smell, it just quit. There must have been a short, or something as
it also tripped the crow bar protector on my power supply and shut it down.
Power supply is working ok now.

73....Dick