[RTTY] Low Scores - Low participation 2002 ARRL RU?

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Low Scores - Low participation 2002 ARRL RU?
From: sschultz@dcrs.com (Scott Schultz)
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 14:37:31 -0600
Don & Friends,

Well I know my score is lower since I was unable to work the total allowable
time, but I still concur with Don on this one. 10 meters was the choice for
DX on Sunday morning, but 15 also had a respectable showing.

Several years ago, there was a huge discussion on the reflectors about
tweaking the buffers to make the most efficient use of time for each
contact. Some users were quite adamant about shaving every millisecond
possible off the contact time somehow thinking this would magically increase
their score. My contention then, and still is now, that we don't run out of
time, we run out of people to contact and this seemed to be especially true
this year.

Last year my two partners and I placed 10th in the Low Power Category for
North America. Not bad for 100 watts and a vertical! Although I have not yet
compared my dupe sheets from last year to this year, it appears to me that I
had a smaller percentage of unique contacts this year. There appear to be a
larger percentage of contestants who appear on 3, 4 and even a few on all 5
bands than in pervious years. Of course more dupes translates into fewer
multipliers! And what about a clean sweep of all 50 states this year? Fuhget
about it!

73,
de Scott Schultz N0IU
n0iu@arrl.net