[RTTY] Thoughts on missing out the dash between serial No's

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Thoughts on missing out the dash between serial No's
From: Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net (Phil Cooper)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 18:47:05 -0000
Hi all,

As someone suggested on this reflector, I decided to remove the dashes in
between the serial numbers sent for the BARTG Sprint, and I have to say, I
had far fewer repeat requests!
I've always included the dash, under the illusion that it helped, but this
was a good chance to leave it out, and see what happened.

I did have to repeat a few times, but in the main, this was due to QRM at
the time, rather than garbled reception.

I did see that quite a few ops didn't heed the rules where it says the
exchange is SERIAL NUMBER ONLY, and some even went as far as sending
599-599-599-001, which I received from one station!

There was also one station who was calling CQ BARTG SPRING CONTEST, and his
exchange included the time as well! I guess he needs a new calendar??

So, did anyone else 'ditch the dash', and did it help??

73 for now, and hope to see some of you in the XE test next weekend with
Writelog on the go!
Phil GU0SUP