[RTTY] PW0T - disgusting!

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] PW0T - disgusting!
From: aa5au@bellsouth.net (Don Hill AA5AU)
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 22:07:08 -0600
It's all part of the game Jim.  After 325 current DXCC entities on RTTY,
I've learned to deal with it the best one can.

I built a station at my work this past weekend & Monday including installing
a brand new A3S beam on an existing 50' tower.  I moved one of my TS-870
radios, my DXP38 & NIR-10 to my office.  I refurbished an old CDR rotor (having
never opened one and having the bearings fall out), it was quite a chore.  I put
the rotor and antenna on the tower on Monday.  I had bought the beam from
W5FKX after he won it at a hamfest & didn't need it.  I gave him $100 for it
and it sat in my attic for 4 years still in the box.

Last week I bought a brand new Ameritron AL-80B amplifier for my office "shack".
When I got to work Tuesday morning and saw them spotted on 12M of all places
I was a little bit discourage! Gee, why hadn't I thought of putting up a WARC
beam!!!!

Today when they first came up on 20M I was disappointed that I didn't have
propagation after all that work and money spent at my office station.  I came
home early today so I wouldn't get caught in transit when they came back on
(50 minute drive).

I was on frequency when they first fired off again this evening, but after
watching
all my Delta DX and Magnolia DX friends work them (KB5GL, W5UP, W5FKX,
K5JZ, W5FI, N5FG & others), I was discouraged.  I had this AL-80B at
home cranked to 800 watts (never ran it that high before).  Others were calling
on
the DX frequency and someone had an S-9 carrier for a long time, but I kept my
cool and determination and eventually, after about an hour or so, I got a good
clean contact.

Don't get discouraged.  Don't get pissed.  Get determined and do your best to
work them despite all the obstacles.  I guess that's easier said after their in
the log,
but it's really what you have to do.  I've learned at least that in all these
years.

And here's the kicker... when I got home from work this evening, before PW0T
came back on 20M, I tuned both 10 & 15M as well and came across a pretty
strong signal on 21083 but the signal was inverted.  It turned out to be TI9M
calling
CQ.  I answered them simplex, they gave me a 599, I told them they were
inverted.
They continued calling CQ with no answers.  I put them on the cluster and went
20M to look for the PW0T station.  Of all things, I didn't need the TI9! hi

73 & GL to all that still need either of these stations.  Keep trying and don't
give up!!!!!
Don AA5AU